An East Devon District Council Cabinet Meeting on 29th November 2017 is to consider approving a pilot scheme to provide allocated motorhome overnight parking facilities.
The recommendation to Cabinet is as follows:
To approve a pilot scheme for Exmouth to be implemented but conditional upon simultaneous implementation of a complementary scheme of on-street restrictions by Devon County Council.
The proposal is:
To offer overnight campervan and motorhome parking in Exmouth for short stays of up to 3 nights, at a cost of £11 per night, as follows:
1. To offer up to 30 pitches for motorcaravans in thet Queens Drive Echelon car park (up to a maximum vehicle length of 5.3m to avoid overhang into the carriageway).
2. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Imperial Recreation Ground car park
3. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Maer Road car park.
4. To consider the feasibility of offering services including: drinking water, waste water disposal and sewage disposal (in one or more of our toilet blocks) and sufficient refuse and recycling facilities located close to the pitches.
The County Council (who have responsibility for on-street parking) has been asked:
- To prohibit the parking of motorcaravans between the hours of 20:00 and 08:00 on the following day on the section of Queens Drive between the Lifeboat Station and Orcombe Point.
- To prohibit the parking of motorcaravans at any time along the “sand dunes” section of Queens Drive (on the basis that the District Council designates its Queens Drive Echelon car park as a new off-street campervan and motorhome facility). If not, to apply the restriction in 1 above.
- To prohibit the parking of motorcaravans between the hours of 20:00 and 08:00 on the following day in Maer Road and Imperial Road.
District Council Officers are of the opinion that a trial or pilot scheme could operate for two years during the summers of 2018 (if the County Council is able to implement its part in time) and 2019 to evaluate the impact in terms of costs and benefits.
The full agenda for the East Devon District Council Cabinet meeting can be downloaded as a pdf here (the item relating to motorhome parking is from page 151 to 156).