We use cookies to help make this website function. You can delete and block them but some are essential for this website to work.

Motorhome FAQs

  • Views: 8094

How much can I carry in my motorhome?

How much can I carry in my motorhome?

What's the payload of your motorhome? Probably not as much as you think! Start by ignoring any salesman's assurances or published figures, the only way to be sure is to work it out for yourself. The payload is the maximum weight of everything you can carry in a vehicle without …

Read full article

  • Views: 4655

The law on smoking in a motorhome

In England the Smoke-free (Private Vehicles) Regulations 2015  make it illegal for the driver  to smoke, or allow anyone to smoke, in an enclosed private vehicle carrying someone under 18, including motor caravans.

However the Regulations also provide the exemption that they do not apply to—

(a) a caravan or motor …

Read full article

  • Views: 7869

What is a motorhome

See our new article for the latest issues with DVLA reclassifying vehicles as motor caravans

Although the term motorhome is very widely used, it is not officially recognised in the UK as a vehicle type. The legislative term used in the UK is motor caravan.

Under the European Community Whole Vehicle …

Read full article

  • Views: 5379

Types of motorhome

This is a completely purpose built motorhome, the manufacturer builds the body onto a new chassis/engine unit.
The advantages are that the interior is more spacious because the 'cab' area is usually part of the accommodation, many have a 'pull-down' double bed above the front seats, this can of course …

Read full article

  • Views: 7413

Motorhome toilets

Often confusing for the newcomer, here is a brief resume of the types likely to be found in motorhomes.

Cassette toilet:A fixed toilet in the motorhome with a removable box (cassette) to hold the waste. Some types have a built in water tank for the flushing water, others use the …

Read full article

  • Views: 47457

Seatbelts in motorhomes

[Last updated October 2011 - legislation extracts added]

We asked the Department for Transport for their interpretation on the law as it applies to seat belts fitted in motorhomes, this article gives the essence of the information that they gave us.

The information below relates to the fitting of seatbelts …

Read full article

  • Views: 5152

Do I need to pay UK Road Tax if I'm travelling in Europe?

As we understand it for all EU countries, all visiting vehicles must be road legal in their country of registration, which effectively means that you must have paid UK Road Tax (if your vehicle requires it) and have a current MOT Certificate. This may also be a requirement of your insurance company.

  • Views: 54900

Motorhome Speed Limits

VOSA statement on speed limits for motorhomes (2007):

"Regarding speed limits, provided the motor homes are "motor caravans" then they are subject to passenger vehicle speed limits, which are 70 mph on a motorway or dual carriageway and 60mph on other roads unless a lower speed limit applies, provided the …

Read full article

  • Views: 7693

Do I need a TV licence?

Whether you are at home or touring in your motorhome, caravan or tent you need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. If you have a licenced TV at your home and …

Read full article

  • Views: 18346

Towing cars and trailers with a motorhome

Towing a car
Our view is that the safest method is to use a purpose designed trailer. There are devices known as A-frames which allow a car to be towed directly, the manufacturers of these devices will assure users that their use is legal. The Department for Transport have provides a …

Read full article

  • Views: 12506

Does my motorhome need a tachograph?

Having heard from some owners of motorhomes with a GVW of over 7.5 tonnes that they had been told by VOSA that their vehicle must be fitted with a tachograph, we asked the Department for Transport for clarification of the legislation. The following summary has been agreed by the DfT …

Read full article

  • Views: 6810

What should my motorhome tyre pressures be?

The only way to be sure that you are using the right pressures is to get the information from the tyre manufacturer themselves. Any vehicle-specific information is only going to be a general guideline and may not take into account the type of tyres fitted and the actual loading. Some …

Read full article

  • Views: 6441

What is Type Approval and how does it affect motorhomes?

[Last updated August 2012]
ECWVTA (European Whole Vehicle Type Approval) is a system allowing a vehicle design to be 'type approved' for sale, registration and entry into service across all member states in the EU without the need for further testing in each country. This will result in the creation of …

Read full article

  • Views: 18328

London Low Emission Zone

Planning to visit London by motorhome? - you need to read this!

The London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) commenced on 4 February 2008 and the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) will come into force on 8th April 2019

This is our interpretation of how the LEZ will affect motorhomes - please refer …

Read full article

  • Views: 8887

Basic buying advice for choosing a motorhome

If you are completely new to motorhomes, the best advice is to look at as many different types as you can, there is no substitute for seeing a motorhome 'in the flesh' - they often look quite different to the pictures in magazines and manufacturers promotional material. The best places …

Read full article

  • Views: 165226

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED or Road Tax) as it applies to motorhomes

VED Increases for New Motorhomes from September 2019

The World Harmonised Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) was introduced in September 2017 to better represent the real-world fuel economy of brand new vehicles and how much pollution they emit when being driven on the road. To further ensure the numbers are as close to what …

Read full article

  • Views: 14825

Driving licences

[Updated Feb 2013 - change to C1 test]

A question often asked is 'Can I drive a motorhome on my car licence?'

If your motorhome is over 3.5 tonnes MAM but does not exceed 7.5 tonnes you will need to hold a driving licence that includes category C1 entitlement. …

Read full article

  • Views: 44566

MOTs for motorhomes

CHANGES TO THE MOT TEST FROM 20th MAY 2018 (Last updated 3/5/18)

1. Defects will be categorised differently
Defects found during the MOT will be categorised as dangerous, major, minor, advisory
Dangerous and major defects will result in a fail, minor and advisory defects will result in a pass.

2. There will be stricter …

Read full article

This entire site © BM Services and UKMotorhomes.net. If you wish to reproduce any information published here, including copying to online discussion groups or forums, please make a request via our contact form. Information reproduced without our express permission is an infringement of copyright and we may take action against anyone so doing. Direct links to our pages are welcome.

Disclosure: UKMotorhomes.net runs sponsored posts — the disclosure message is marked at the beginning of each article using the phrase "sponsored article". We develop sponsored content with companies whose products and services we think our readers will find valuable or interesting.

We endeavour to provide accurate information, however, despite our best efforts, unfortunately mistakes and inaccuracies may occur in our content. It is also possible that some information may be revised after publication. You should always make independent checks before relying on anything published here. Please let us know if you spot any inaccurate or misleading information and we will correct it as soon as possible.